By Elizabeth Demarest
In her new booklet, Betty Demarest describes a daring schedule for schooling reform—one that's firmly grounded in a synthesis of academic study approximately studying, educating, and the contexts of schooling. The author’s “learning-centered” framework contains: (1) a vast and balanced set of schooling targets, (2) a multi-faceted proposal of accomplishment, (3) school room potential for studying, (4) systemic capability and infrastructure, (5) shared, reciprocal responsibility, and (6) structures of a number of exams. New research-based recommendations in those six parts are seriously in comparison to older suggestions at the back of standards-based reform and No baby Left Behind.
- A entire, substitute framework for destiny schooling reform that specializes in bettering the center academic practices of studying, instructing, content material, and leadership.
- A federal function that emphasizes significant partnerships instead of top-down control.
- A critique of prior criteria and current accountability-based frameworks, with implications of the learning-centered framework for destiny nationwide coverage, particularly ESEA
- An operational definition of academic skill, a re-conceptualization of responsibility, and a pointy reversal of the relative emphasis put on those strategies.
Elizabeth J. Demarestis an schooling advisor dwelling in Alexandria, Virginia. She used to be previously with the U.S. division of schooling and the nationwide schooling Association.
“Betty Demarest sincerely defines a learning-centered framework for bettering coverage and perform. Practitioners can enjoy the techniques outlining a transparent pathway for remodeling to learning-centered perform in our nation’s classrooms.” —Gerald N. Tirozzi, government director, nationwide organization of Secondary tuition Principals
“Betty Demarest’s deep adventure with examine and coverage improvement permits her to re-envision reform at many degrees, all in line with examine proof for legitimate ideas and practices of training and studying. This ebook is a welcome present to policymakers and practitioners.”
—Roland Tharp, study professor, college of California, Berkeley
“Demarest offers a research-based origin for expert dialogue and debate as Congress renews federal schooling legislation. Her synthesis of key matters may still supply a kick off point for any severe dialogue of how ahead in federal schooling policy.”
—Mary Haywood Metz, professor emerita, college of Wisconsin–Madison
Read or Download A Learning-Centered Framework for Education Reform: What Does It Mean for National Policy? PDF
Best education policy books
The Collegiate studying evaluate (CLA) is a degree of ways a lot scholars' severe pondering improves after attending collage or collage. This record illustrates how associations can set their very own criteria at the CLA utilizing a mode that's applicable for the CLA's distinctive characteristics.
The increase sought after for better schooling within the Asia-Pacific area is an indisputable mirrored image of the turning out to be speed of globalization and the next pressures imposed by means of it. desiring to turn into globally aggressive and to place favourably within the international collage league tables, governments in Asia have both engaged in a significant quest to turn into a local schooling hub or they've got targeting constructing transnational better schooling to create extra possibilities, in an effort to meet their voters’ urgent call for for greater schooling.
This publication offers a unique standpoint on neocolonialism, schooling and different similar matters. It unveils the consequences of neocolonialism at the studying and wellbeing and fitness of scholars and staff, together with marginalized teams akin to local american citizens, Latino/as, and African americans. it's a number of in-depth interviews with and heartfelt essays by committed social justice educators and students surely concerned about academic matters positioned within the context of western neocolonialism and neoliberalism.
This paintings expands at the principles and issues mentioned within the first volumes during this sequence on schooling coverage: the 1st e-book — proficient lecturers: the fundamental strength for bettering pupil fulfillment — examines the significance of instructor caliber. Years of study have time and again proven what we inferred to be true—outside of the house surroundings, the standard of a student’s instructor has the most powerful effect on studying.
- Closing the Education Achievement Gaps for African American Males (International Race and Education Series)
- Political Agendas for Education: From Race to the Top to Saving the Planet (Sociocultural, Political, and Historical Studies in Education)
- Disobedient Teaching: Surviving and Creating Change in Education
- Schools Guide to the New SEND Code of Practice: Advice for school governing bodies/proprietors, senior leadership teams, SENCOs and classroom staff
- How the Best Teachers Differentiate Instruction
- The Taking Action Guide to Building Coherence in Schools, Districts, and Systems
Extra resources for A Learning-Centered Framework for Education Reform: What Does It Mean for National Policy?